Thursday, October 30, 2014

Chapter Two

One of the many blessings that we have received living here in Savannah is the proximity with which we live to a local church that is host to the Bible Study Fellowship program.  How excited we were when we moved and saw that we were but a mile away from the church!  So thankful to be participants yet again in this wonderful study of God's Word.

This year we are walking through the life of Moses and just this week we covered the story of the attack from the Amalekites upon the Israelites as they wandered through the desert.  The Lord instructed Joshua to go and fight, and he instructed Moses to climb to the top of the hill and raise his hands, which held the staff of God, into the air.  When his hands were raised, the Israelites were winning the battle.  When his hands fell, the victory turned towards the Amalekites (see Exodus 17:8-15 for the whole story).  So when Moses' arms become tired, Aaron and Hur come along and hold his hands up "so that his hands remained steady".  I have read this story often, but then as is my norm, I simply forget it and don't apply it to my life.  So when I came across this story again in our study, it amazes my anew and makes me realize that once again, our family finds itself in a situation such a this.

We are in a battle.  Yes, spiritually, as we all finds ourselves battling the evil forces.  But physically as well as Daniel is currently deployed for the second time.  He left just two weeks ago and is with the Ranger Unit in Afghanistan.  Two weeks into the last deployment, I remember, was a terribly low time as I had not yet heard from Daniel and I just couldn't possibly understand how we were to get through nine months of deployment.  And yet, when I look back upon the pages of my life, I see the greatest story of protection and provision and promises revealed in that first chapter of deployment.  And even as we have just turned the page and are beginning this second chapter of deployment, the Lord's mercy and kindness are already written for all to read:  First, this is just a four month deployment!  Second, Daniel is in a staff position, meaning that he is not out running missions every night/day but works within a large base and is behind a desk (which is not his favorite, but a fact which brings great relief to my bones and freedom to my mind!).  Thirdly, we are able to talk/skype each and every day.  What mercies!  How kind is the Lord!

And yet, even in chapters where mercy and kindness are written, there is also written hardship and struggle.  As is almost every chapter of our lives.  As is this second chapter of deployment.  That Tuesday evening when he left might have been the hardest moment of my life.  Hugging my husband and then watching him hug and kiss our two beautiful children goodbye.  It was almost too much for my heart to bear.  But doesn't the Lord have a wonderful sense of humor? Even in moments of such despair?  As I started the car to drive away, I ran right over top of a concrete post and pretty much got stuck on top... had to back off of it to continue on our way!  And miraculously, no damage!  Since the last time he deployed we got in an accident on the way to drop him off, I think this has to be an improvement!  Tears to tear filled laughter, we made our way home and the chapter began.

We are doing well and managing, through God's grace.  Two weeks down.  And already we are realizing that we are in this Moses and Joshua versus the Amalekite situation.  Fighting a battle. In dire need of help and strength and support.  Already, just like Moses, my hands are tired and weary and are more often wiping away my tears than raising them in praise to the Lord.  But already, we have seen and felt and gloried at the sight of people coming alongside and grabbing my hands and once again lifting them in praise.  We are being lifted in support, lifted in prayer, lifted in service, lifted with packages and letters and texts and meals...  Like when the lady whom I had never met and who sat behind me in church tapped me on my shoulder after service and said:
" I'm Kate.  And I"m bringing you dinner on Tuesday.  And I am coming early so that I can watch the children and you can go on a walk by yourself."

I have to say I don't like asking for help (does anyone??), and it's not my favorite place to be here, to be the one on the receiving end of service, but I will say it is amazing to be a part of the Church of Christ and to be cared for and loved.

So once again, we will yet be victorious in this second chapter of deployment, as the Lord sends those to steady our hands.  And we will "write this down, as something to be remembered" (Exodus 17:14) so our family can look back and once again see Grace written upon the pages of this chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment